Bacon scallops in dill sauce
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 9 long bacon slices or 18 short ones
- 18 large (sea, or Japanese) scallops
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbls dijon mustard
- 2 tbls pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped dill
- 3 dill sprigs
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Arrange bacon slices on baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, about 8 minutes.
- Cut each slice crosswise in half if using long slices.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Wrap 1 bacon piece around bottom to top of each scallop and secure with a toothpick.
- Place scallops on baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil cream in heavy saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 3 minutes.
- Add mustard and syrup to sauce and boil until thickened to sauce consistency, about 3 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat, and mix in chopped dill.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper (I add a couple of teaspoons pepper and perhaps one teaspoon salt).
- Pour sauce into a flat casserole dish or shallow decorative dish large enough to hold all scallops. Arrange scallops evenly atop sauce. Lay dill sprigs over the scallops and serve.
Bacon, of course, goes with anything, including scallops. These snacks get covered in a mustard-dill sauce and sweetened with maple syrup for a very tasty finger food.