Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 large eggplants, chopped (1/2-inch to 1-inch cubes)
- Juice of 3 lemons or limes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add the eggplant cubes, chili, and onion to hot olive oil and stir well.
- Fry over medium heat, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir well three times (every five minutes).
- Blend lemon or lime juice and garlic in blender.
- Add eggplant, yogurt, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth.
This is great with tortilla chips. Also serve with warm, toasted, or lightly-fried bread. For both presentation and flavor, you might add sliced olives, ground red chili pepper, parsley sprigs, chopped garlic fried in olive oil, and/or drizzled olive oil.
If you don’t like hot salsas, remove some or all of the seeds from the chili. You might also try adding some green herbs to it, such as parsley or dill, when blending.
This recipe has its genesis in the Eggplant Purée from Sonia Uvezian’s the book of Yogurt.