Negative Space: Hong Kong
- Drinking Patterns and Alcoholism in the Chinese
- K. Singer surveys alcohol use and the perception of use in China and Hong Kong during and after World War II. As the center of the illegal opium trade, narcotics were a bigger problem in Hong Kong than alcohol.
- Slaves in their own fucking country
- It’s time to open the letters bag again. Is there still slavery in America, and is literary merit necessary to end it? Uncle Tom would be proud, but Solzhenitsyn takes it on the ear.
- What can we do about Hong Kong?
- Hong Kong has a bill of “rights” that depends on the kindness of strangers. There’s one right that can’t be taken away by a despot’s pen. But can the democratic country which now controls Hong Kong allow them to exercise that