Negative Space: etymology
- Dictionary of Word Origins
- John Ayto’s “History of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words” is a fascinating read, including a bit of history within the etymologies.
- Etymologies of Drug Words
- Etymologies (Dictionary of Word Origins, Origins, Webster’s Ninth)
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary
- These references are taken from the Webster’s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary.
- Eric Partridge’s “Short Etymological Dictionary of Modern English” is a dense work filled with fascinating detail. If you are at all interested in etymology, this is the one book to have.
Eric Partridge’s etymological tome is a tour-de-force. It is the must-have for amateur etymologists. “Simply the best.”